Friday, July 25, 2014

Subroadbed Construction Commences!

The first riser was installed last night:


I put up another 13 of them before hitting a wall rest wise due to tiling a bathroom for the past week. Hoping to get more done this weekend.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

More Benchwork Work

If you couldn't tell, I'm in a building kinda mood. I've been dedicating a minimum of 30 minutes and no more then about 1 1/2 hours each night to doing something layout related. Tonight (last night?) was no different. I removed the 3" I needed on the sections of benchwork using my trusty cordless Kobalt Sawzall. Seriously, this tool is awesome, highly recommend. Here's the resulting benchwork:



I think I mentioned this previously but I've had some of the wood have moldy looking spots on them. I remember seeing this on one or two pieces of plywood that I ripped into these 1x3s. I really didn't think anything of it at the time but obviously when I saw it on the layout on more then one piece, I started cutting and throwing stuff out. Well, today I discovered the main culprit. The piece in the bottom picture above had nothing but that mold/mildew spots on it as well as this big long streak UNDER the primer/sealer I had put on. I immediately tossed it. I'm hoping that's the last of it. On a bright note, I found a whole bunch of 1x3s I had cut up that I forgot I had since I had cleaned the basement and stacked them all nicely under the benchwork. I don't know about everyone else, but I can never find anything after I clean. Moving along, I put up one of the fronts, reusing the good one from the set I took down.


I then laid out the rest of the fronts mixing and matching the sizes I need to finish. After I did this, I realized, these are last pieces, except for any angled pieces I need and whatever goes in for the helix, of benchwork I need to put up before I can start with risers. I'm very excited. Hopefully by Saturday everything is up and we're talking about risers starting to pop-up. Here's a panoramic view of the remaining work to be done.


Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Staging Rebuild

I realized I hadn't updated the site with my work on the staging and mill areas. Here are a few pics of my updates over the last few weekends. At first, I had to rebuild the area to go from 15" wide to 24" wide on both the upper and lower areas and then put backdrops. First the upper level which is where the blast furnace and coke plant will be:


And then the lower level, which will be staging:


I then put the fronts up.

I used my Kreg Jig for all of this. The shelves are really, really solid, which is great for the upper level. I also worked on the other side of this wall. Next steps are to fill in some holes in the backdrop where 10' of backdrop was needed but I only got 8' long strips.

I will say this, getting small steps done each week is really good. I still have a goal of being ready for track laying come this fall.

About

Welcome to the my Conrail Model Railroad site. I will document the research, design, construction and operations of my N-scale model railroad based on Conrail's Ft. Wayne Line in Ohio.

Conrail Ft. Wayne Line © Header image from J. Alex Lang Template Nice Blue modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com.

TOP